Mimi’s Homemade Biscuit Recipe (by Pastry Chef Lanna Talley)
One of my fondest memories is sitting on the counter at my Mimi's house watching her make homemade biscuits. She always had a freshly baked stash - plus gravy!- for breakfast. ‘SOS’ is what she called it.
I learned so much in Mimi's kitchen that I decided to bring over her techniques to Oliver Royale’s kitchen. Get ready to create your own fluffy biscuits in your kitchen, too!
Before you begin - here are some important things to remember...
1) Don't over mix the biscuit batter! This was Mimi’s biggest advice for baking biscuits.
2) Show the Love. The biggest mistake most home cooks make when baking biscuits is placing the biscuits too far apart in the pan. Placing the biscuits right next to each other on the pan allows the biscuits to rise instead of spreading on the pan. This creates a taller, fluffier biscuit.
3) Make a mess! If your table isn't covered in flour, you're doing it wrong.
I ran with these tried and true techniques and created this recipe five years ago, and it hasn't changed since. Try it out and let us know what you think! Or better yet - tag us on Instagram (@oliverroyale)
Have fun and happy baking!
Ingredients for Mimi’s Homemade Biscuits
(Makes a 9x13 pan)
5 cups flour, plus more for dusting
3 Tablespoons baking powder
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons salt
2 sticks butter
2 cups buttermilk
1 stick butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut butter into the dry ingredients until butter is the size of peas.
4. Add eggs and buttermilk to flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
5. Dust table with flour and pour batter onto the table.
6. Knead the dough - roughly 8 to 10 times.
7. Roll dough to 1 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter.
8. Place biscuits on the pan. Remember, the biscuits should be very close together and touching!
9. Brush biscuits with melted butter and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with butter, honey, or with your favorite jam!